Re: CAST IRON CAN BE CUT !!!
Posted by More on December 27, 2001 at 20:13:56:
In response to Re: CAST IRON CAN BE CUT !!!
Cast Iron Pipe can be cut easily in this situation, especially in deep trenches in concrete floors. The problem is that you don't have the tools or experience to do it right, and gaurantee a leak free joint where you can replace the concrete and be sure you won't be digging it up again next Thanksgiving. Cast Iron is used under concrete for the simple reason that it is durable and reliable. Contact a LICENSED plumber who will have a racheting chain pipe cutter to fit around the cast iron and cut cleanly without crushing the pipe wall, and will effect a smooth clean joint where the WYE can be removed, a small joint can be fabricated, and a leak free connection can be made. Play it smart, know your limitations, don't screw up the house and then sell it to some unsuspecting family later.

: What type of joints are they. If they are no-hub with metal bands then just remove the bands. If they are lead/oakum joints you do not have the equipment to remove them and then insert a new fitting.
: :
: : HOW DO I TAKE A JOINT APART IN CAST IRON PIPE! IT IS A SEWER PIPE! I HAVE DUG IT UP UNDER MY BATHROOM CONCRETE FLOOR AND NEED TO REMOVE A Y IN THE PIPE! IT IS FAIRLEY DEEP IN THE GROUND AND NEEDS TO BE REMOVED (CAN'T BE CUT OFF) WHAT CAN I DO AND HOW DO I DO THIS? SO I CAN REPLACE IT? THANK YOU! RAINELLE MCCASLAND!

Replies to this post
There are none.