Re: Shallow well jet pump cycling too much
Posted by More on December 17, 2001 at 22:22:56:
In response to Re: Shallow well jet pump cycling too much
What do you mean by the statement the shallow well jet pump is fed by a 1200 gallon above ground tank? Is the 1200 gallons supplying gravity feed to the jet pump, and the jet pump then pressure feeds the toilet and washing machine? If so, is there a vent or pressure equalizing valve somewhere in the line's supply side? The washing machine fill cycle is timed, and uses an electronic fill safety shutoff and utilizes an electric solenoid valve to open and receive 30 psi to fill the washer. If the supply from the jet pump supply line allows air, or has a cavitation pressure vortex in it, the washing machine will create a vacuum in the supply, and will make the pressure gauge jump wildly. Any cavitation in the pressure line will show the same fluctuation as the 3/4 supply line to the toilet reduces to 1/4 inch at the fill valve, too. The showers and sinks don't have such a restriction, and therefore pass the cavitation and vortex through them as aereated water.

: I have a 3/4 hp shallow well jet pump fed by a 1200 gallon above ground tank. My pump is set for 30 cut on 50 cut off. Tank is set at 28. This is a new pump. When regular faucets or shower are open, it seems to work fine...about 40 seconds between motor coming on and shutting down. pressures up to 50, shuts off and rests till drop below 30. However the problem is when the TOILET or WASHING MACHINE is requesting water, the pump cycles on and off and the pressure gauge jumps and falls between 30 and 50 constantly...like every second until TOILET is full or WASHING MACHINE is full.

: Had this exact same problem with my last pump, only those 2 instances make the pump go spastic???

: Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Replies to this post