Re: Toilet Flange Too Low
Posted by Rufus on December 13, 2001 at 10:14:21:
In response to Re: Toilet Flange Too Low
: : I had water damage to my bathroom floor and pulled the toilet and replaced the plywood flooring around the toilet flange. The wax ring looked uncompressed when I pulled the toilet. Though the flange was installed above the sub-floor (diagonal planking) it appears that the flange was installed flush with the plywood flooring which lays over the subfloor.

: : Was the low flange and uncompressed wax ring the source of the leak and resulting water damage?

: : I am planning to install ceramic tile which would result in the flange being 1/2" to 3/4" below the level of the floor.

: : Is there such a thing as a flange extension or spacer to raise the level of the current flange to the normal 1/4" or 1/2" above the level of the floor after the installation of the new floor?
: Its possible that your toilet could have caused your floor damage.Any leaking water can do that.In fact if the wax ring wasnt stuck to your toilet when you pulled it ,it probably was.You shouldnt have to raise your closet flange though.Get a wax ring that is thicker.There are wax rings made specificley for this problem.I think they are called fat boys but that might just be what we call them.If you explain your problem to your local plumbing supply house they should be able to help you,this is a common problem.Good luck and always have fun with your projects!MikeStheplumber

Home Depot (in Canada) sells a 'closet flange extension kit' for this purpose. Rufus

Replies to this post
There are none.