Re: Rusty water problem
Posted by More on December 09, 2001 at 22:56:23:
In response to Re: Rusty water problem
The rust is from Iron Oxide which may not be from the ice maker tap at all.There may be galvanized piping upstream in the walls that hasn't been removed,and is rusting at the inside piping walls and rust is either attracted magnetically by the bronze copper dissimilar metal connection at the ice maker tap, or by gravitational migration to the lowest settling point. There is the possibility that the ice tap is leaking slightly and the metal screws holding it together and allowing rust into the tap, or the possibility that the ice maker is rusting, and oxide is gravitating to the tap.

: I have a utility sink installed in a closet and in the copper cold water line of that sink is the "clamp-on" type of connection for an ice maker. I started noticing rust particles in my ice and also a short "plug" of rusty water when I turned on the cold water. The plug of rusty water is almost immediately after turning on the faucet (after about 1/4 cup of water) and is only 3 or 4 inches long in the stream. The longer the water sits in the pipe without use, the darker the plug of rusty water, and also in combination with this - the more time between when the ice is produced, the rustier the ice. Any suggestions on what could be rusting in my copper piping (I know copper itself does not rust)?

Replies to this post
There are none.