Re: Venting a bathroom sink
Posted by Robert on December 03, 2001 at 20:51:27:
In response to Re: Venting a bathroom sink
I read about a vent made by Oatey that will allow a straight drop downward slope of the trap to the waste drain. They say its for use in the type of situation I mentioned without the loop type DWV normally needed for island sinks and sinks with a windows behind them. Have you heard anything about the effectiveness of these?

: Your only option that will result in a properly operating sink is to open the wall and run the pipe from the existing drain/vent to the new location. this is still not the ideal way since it involves to 90 degree elbows, but it is preferable to any other installation.

: : Our builder decided to vent the downstairs bathroom sink out the side of the vanity, not out the back. Since the vanity is in a corner of the bathroom this was OK. Now, we want to replace with a freestanding vanity, and run the pipes out the back or through the floor. Problem is there is no DWV in the back of the current vanity.

: : Now, the question. Can I vent the sink downward to the DWV pipe below the subfloor? I'm envisioning a trap, then a downsloping pipe to the main DWV. Is this kosher? If not, what are my options?

: : Thx,

: :
: : RJ

Replies to this post