Re: Intalling a toilet over carpet? - more info
Posted by Tom Kreider on November 30, 2001 at 14:29:57:
In response to Re: Intalling a toilet over carpet? - more info
: : I just had a dense berber sytle carpet installed over concrete slab in new basement bathroom. I assume that I'll have to cut away the carpet to install the closet flange, but what about for toilet base. Can/should that sit on the carpet or do I cut around the entire base for the toilet to sit directly on the concrete? Also how do you recommend attaching the flange to the concrete. I have 3" PVC cut flush with concrete slab.

: Tom,
: The 3" pipe hopefully will be sleeved with cardboard that can be removed and a flange glued over it. For securing, you will want some concrete anchors. I use the 1/4" anchors I can install with a hammer.
: The carpet will need to be removed around the toilet base.
: General rules:
: Carpet, cut around the bowl.
: Anything else, set the bowl on top.

Thanks very much! What a great resource!

There is cardboard around the PVC, but it's in the concrete, so I'm not sure how easy it will come out. Can't I get a flange that will go inside the 3" pipe? I think it might also be hard to get the PVC cement down around the pipe. Also, on the vanity, should I cut the carpet around that before the install or can/should that cabinet go on the carpet? It's a small 16x18 cabinet for the washbowl.

Thanks again! Your's is the best site on the web for plumbing help!

Replies to this post