Re: Radiator removal & refill
Posted by More on November 30, 2001 at 00:53:16:
In response to Re: Radiator removal & refill
The Well McLain burner automatically senses temperature of the water in the boiler supply side, but does not re-supply water. This is a closed loop system that you opened, drained, and capped. DO NOT START THE BOILER AND BUILD HEAT!!!! You'll be heating a little bit of water that is still trapped at the boiler which will turn to steam, and will condensate onto itself repeatedly until turning to high pressure steam! It will build too much pressure and will burst a pipe at a weak thread fitting or vent and scald someone! Open the main that you capped, is this a 2 inch? Install a tee and sweat a pressure capable valve and a hose bibb into the side of the main.It is supposed to be a closed loop system and the main will likely need to be rerouted to the next in line radiator if there isn't a manifold nearby. Ensure that the main supply from the boiler feeds from this line to the other mains, to provide a continuous loop. Find the last condensate return line that runs from the last radiator in line, and returns to the condensate return tank. Look on the condensate return tank for a hose bibb, steam trap, and backflow prevention valve. Hook a garden hose to this hose bibb and run it high but not higher than that same radiator's vent. Take a garden hose to the sweated in hose bibb and fill the main slowly, allowing the trapped air to be pushed out through the entire system until the condensate return starts to show water draining back to the steam trap. The water heated is gravity uphill, the condensate is gravity downhill.

Have a LICENSED plumber look at your completed work before you add steam.Don't fool around with the safety of your family if you aren't sure of what you're doing. You've got a pressure cooker here, on a large scale! THIS IS NOT A DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT!

: OK. I managed to remove a kitchen hot water radiator and cap the supply and return pipes that lead to their own mains. Once the radiator drained I removed it and proceeded to cut the supply and return pipes to cap. I had to cut the pipes in the basement (kitchen is on first floor) directly below where the rad used to be. Here's the new dilema: while performing this, I cut the return pipe in the basement to cap it. Once cut, the pipe would not stop draining for two hours (12 gallons). Once it completely stopped I cut the supply- no problem. Now all is well (so far); both pipes are soldered and capped. My question is: since I think I drained the entire heating system, how do I replenish the water? Does the burner (Well-Mclain) automatically sense low water and fill the system back to operating level or is there something else I need to do? Any sugesstions are truly appreciated. I have the heat turned off now, but it is getting colder...
: Thanks in advance.
: Chris

Replies to this post
There are none.