Re: 1/2" vs 3/4" shower plumbing question
Posted by More on November 29, 2001 at 22:55:12:
In response to Re: 1/2" vs 3/4" shower plumbing question
The proper solution to your issue is to plumb the valves at 3/4 inch for a run of about 18 inches or 3 feet to a point where you can install an access panel. This panel will allow you to have the new 3/4 pipe available at the access panel, and reduced to the existing 1/2 inside. Then when you do upgrade the plumbing in the rest of the house, you make the connection at the access panel.

: I currently have 1/2" copper pipe supplying water to my tub/shower combination. I will not be able to change this in the near term, but will probably change it in 1 - 2 years. In the meantime, I am buying all new plumbing hardware for the tub/shower. Although all of the outlets (spout and showerheads) provide 1/2" connections, the valves and diverter are available in either 1/2" or 3/4" models.

: When I get around to completely redoing the bathroom (and changing the size of the supply pipes) I expect to want to continue using as much of the plumbing hardware I am buying now as possible. I will probably want to add body jets to the shower at that time as well (once the supply pipes are sufficient to support multiple simultaneous showerhead use). If I install 1/2" valves now, I will need to replace them with 3/4" valves at that time, which is an expense I would love to avoid.

: My question is this: Would I find myself having problems if I bought 3/4" valves now and simply connected the 1/2" supply via reducers? As I said, the outlets are 1/2" anyway, so it seems to me that the extra volume between the valves wouldn't make any difference. The salesperson at the store felt otherwise.

: Any opinions?

: Thanks,

: Mike

Replies to this post
There are none.