Start over (hope I've got it right)...
Posted by JoeM on November 17, 2001 at 14:43:11:
In response to Start over (hope I've got it right)...
... I have been having a heck of a time finding a replacement faucet stem assembly as follows:

The length of the stem is 5 1/2" and the width of the washer seat area is 3/4". I do not know the manufacturer of the fixture, but the house was built in 1952/1953, and it's the original fixture.

If it weren't for the fact that I can no longer match the tiles, I'd simply break the wall and install a new fixture. However, since I really don't have the $$$ or the time for a new bathroom now, I would like to fix the faucets by replacing all three stems, hot, cold, and shower.

The stem pictured has stripped threads on the inside, so the faucet turns and turns as the washer won't contact the seat. Speaking of seats, I've grinded the seats down (they were leaking), so now I've had to double-up on the washers in order to make contact with the seats. It doesn't seem as if the seats on this fixture are replaceable (I've tried every seat remover I have), so if you have any suggestions on this as well, it would be greatly appreciated. Admittedly, I'm a novice when it comes to plumbing.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated! I answer automotive questions at www.ackits.com and occasionally at www.batauto.com, so if ever I can reciprocate with your automotive questions, feel free to post drop me an e-mail!

Joe

P.S. Sorry about the multiple screw ups with the photos.

Replies to this post
There are none.