Re: Wall-hung toilet leaking at outlet
Posted by hj on November 14, 2001 at 08:07:09:
In response to Re: Wall-hung toilet leaking at outlet
Two amendments to the reply. First do not use a conventional wax seal, (with or without the plastic sleeve). They make a special wax ring for wall hung toilets that has a felt membrane in it. Second only tighten the two bottom nuts and the upper left one to secure the toilet. The upper right hand nut is just turned until it contacts the bowl and then a half turn more. If you try to tighten all four bolts you will stress the bowl and could crack it.

: : I have residential wall-hung toilets in my home. One is apparently leaking at the waste outlet. How do I reinstall this toilet and what do I use for a gasket?

: : The toilet is approximately 35 years old and otherwise works fine.

: : Tricks for supporting this thing while I reattach the mounting nuts may also be helpful. I'm thinking a properly sized piece of wood underneath would be reasonable.

: : Thanks! I install wallhung toilets all the time .Its no big deal.First turn off the water.Second shop vac out the water.Disconect the water line.Kneel in front of the toilet with your knees under neath it.Loosen the four (or three) mounting nuts.Pull the nuts off the bottem first then the top ones while supporting the toilet with your legs.Oh yea ,if its a tank type toilet take off the tank lid and put it some where it wont get broken.Pull the toilet off the wall and lay it on its side.Remove the old wax ring and replace it with a new one with a plastic inner cone.Stick it to the "horn" of the toilet.The "horn" is the round depression in the back of it.This is the most important part of a wall hung toilet,make sure the bottem backup washers are atleaast an eighth of an inch from the wall.Use a two foot level to level up to the top backup washers.Slide the toilet back on to the threaded rods and push it towards the wall.Start the top nuts(about two turns)then push down on the front of the toilet to compress the wax ring.Put the nuts on the bottem .Tighten them untill the toilet touches the backup washers.Then tighten the top nuts until they do the same.The toilet touching the washers is what supports the toilet.If you take your time you should be able to do it your self.Test it by sitting on it and pouring a bucket of water down it.It shouldnt move or leak.Good luck and post back if you have any questions Mike

Replies to this post
There are none.