Re: removing a tub surround
Posted by MikeStheplumber on November 06, 2001 at 13:40:58:
In response to Re: removing a tub surround
: I would like to remove a tub surround. I believe it is attached to dry wall. I do not know what type of adhesive was used. The surround could be 20 some odd years old. I would like to replace it with a more plexible type of tub surround ,one that has a little give to it. It is also needed grip bars ( added after installation?). Thanks for your help.
Your tub surround is probably held up with liquid nails or someother type of industrial adhesive.When you tear it off you will probably tear up the drywall behind it.this is not a problem because it is easy to repair and if you want to attach grab bars you should put wood backing in the wall anyway.You need to nail wood blocking in the wall where the grab bars attach to the wall.The wood needs to be nailed to studs in the wall.Always use water resistant drywall behind your surround.Good luck and always have fun with your projects!MikeStheplumber

Replies to this post
There are none.