Re: sears water softner
Posted by Ted on October 24, 2001 at 22:32:36:
In response to Re: sears water softner
I have a Sears unit of about the same vintage. I've had to replace seal/gaskets/o-rings in the rotary valve. Plug the model# into the Sears.com parts section, and you can see exploded rawing of the parts, even get prices.

The hardest part I had was getting the right lube. I wound up contacting Dow for a source for their silicone valve lube, #111 I believe. Great stuff for lubing/sealing other things dealing with potable water (like o-rings on water jugs).

There should also be a tech sheet folder up in the plastic casing that surrounds the valve body. It usually includes troubleshooting steps, too.

: I made the mistake of installing a used water softner. Ofcouse I was told it was in good working order when it was GIVEN to me by a trusted friend. After a full day of plumbing it in I find out its not working. It may be around 10 years old. When the softner goes to regeneration it seems to work fine until it starts the backwash cycle. Then it will keep filling with water and wont stop. Water will keep overflowing until I shut the water off with the bypass.
: Am I wasting my time with this unit?
: Do I spend money to have it looked at or repaired?
: Give it back to my BUDDY and buy a new one?
: Any advice appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.