Re: backing up plumbing
Posted by kevfin on October 22, 2001 at 11:42:35:
In response to Re: backing up plumbing
Thanks

I'm out of town and the problem of course got worse over the weekend. My spouse is having a plumber repair the problem this afternoon.

When I installed the ABS I was quite gererous about using enough cement. That's probably the problem.

: 4 inch ABS is smooth walled and slippery inside once it has received toilet waste, and the couplings (when properly installed) pass paper products well. The likelihood that toilet paper is backing up is very high, when the ABS was being cemented at a temperature that permitted the excessive glue in the joints to seep into the inside of the pipe, and harden. Next time it happens, thump on the pipe sidewall to listen for the sound of fully charged pipe, and empty pipe.Where you find the difference you will probably find a coupling. Clear the line in the usual way and then cut the 4 inch to enable looking inside. If the joint is bad, cut that section out and replace it using less glue. Another toilet is going to deliver the same toilet paper mass to the same joint, and continue to clog.

: : We have a problem with the bathroom that we added recently.

: : The bathroom connects to the rest of the waste plumbing system via a 10' minimum drop horizontal run of 4" abs. The new bathroom vent system is separate from the rest of the house all the way to the roof.

: : We beleive that toilet paper builds up in the horizontal run over repeated useage to a point that all of the drains in the new bathroom start to back up. Sometimes running all of the appliance in the new bathroom will cause the blockage to clear. Other times a quick plunge is required to clear it. We found that if we run the sink (or any other appliance) during and slightly after flushing the drain works properly and does not back up. Our toilet is a low flow kohler with a flushmate attachement.

: : Is this a common problem ? Will a new toilet possibly remedy the problem ? What do you think the problem is, and what would you suggest doing to remedy it ?

: : Thanks in advance

Replies to this post
There are none.