Re: Go to ebay and buy a Ridgid Soil Pipe Cutter
Posted by Chuck on October 09, 2001 at 21:26:42:
In response to Re: Go to ebay and buy a Ridgid Soil Pipe Cutter
The trap arm length depends on the size of the pipe. I think 2" can be up to 8 feet, but check you code book. Better yet, find out who you plumbing inspector is and pay him a visit. These
guys are paid by your tax dollars and should answer your questions. From the sounds of it, your just dropping down through the floor and
want to connect into your stack. You should see if you can connect into your original vent, if you have one.

: I don't think it is illegal that I know of. It is only a 4 foot horizontal(with a slight slope of course) section of drain pipe directly into the cast stack which is vented out of the roof. All I am doing is running the exact same drain configuration under the floor(in the basement). It is still going to tie into that stack at right around the same level as the toilet. Anyway, I don't think it is illegal or unsafe that I can tell, but then again I am only a do it your selfer.

: : If I read you correctly, you are planning to install an illegal and unsafe drain without a proper vent.

: : : Chuck, there is a fitting but it is on the first floor and there is a horizontal run of drain pipe along the wall. Previously they notched out the backs of the cabinets for this pipe...but the new cabinets I will not be able to do that. So I am rerouting it straight down through the floor into the basement, and then horizontally along the basement ceiling over to the stack

: : : : If this is a remodeling job isn't there a fitting
: : : : where the original sink was connected. Cutting stacks are a pain and cast iron is rather brittle.

Replies to this post