Re: Replace old Cast Iron Drain Pipes?
Posted by CASMAN on September 10, 2001 at 13:45:48:
In response to Re: Replace old Cast Iron Drain Pipes?
: I am about to replace the old steel supply pipes in my 110 year old house. I�ve noticed a couple heavily corroded/rusted spots on the larger drain lines that I will also need to replace. Since I�m going to have to open a wall or two to do this work, should I consider also replacing the cast iron stack and all associated drain/vent lines with PVC? What is the life expectancy of cast iron? Are there ways to tell its age and/or remaining life expectancy? Is it possible this cast iron pipe (which looks like the stuff I�ve seen in 50 � 70 year old houses) is original to the house? I�ve heard cast iron is quieter then PVC, and really don�t want to tackle this big job unnecessarily, but would hate to skip it and have the cast iron fail in a few years (we plan to be here at least 10 years).

: Your thoughts are appreciated!

I just completed the same type job and only have one regret. That is I should have left the cast iron venting portions as they are quiet. Now it sounds like a belly flop in the kitchen when the upstairs toilet is flushed, I'm seriously considering putting the Cast iron back in and hubbing in the pvc where necessary

Replies to this post
There are none.