Re: Secureall 'tar sticks' for cast iron pipe repair? (Complete Message)
Posted by hj on August 28, 2001 at 22:46:27:
In response to Re: Secureall 'tar sticks' for cast iron pipe repair? (Complete Message)
It is called KrakStick and is used as is, not heated. It is not available everywhere, but some plumbing stores still have it.

: Oops....I seem to have accidently hit enter before I was finished with this message the first time.

: I have an old cast iron / lead wrap DWV system (circa 1945) that is for the most part still in real good shape. The exception is about a half dozen small holes in various places on the side feed that goes off to the lav and tub. There are little rust cones protruding at these spots that resemble small ant hills. I have talked with my plumber (retired 46 years industrial sector) who does not think the pipe needs to be replaced.

: : He said that he used to use something called 'secure-all" (not sure of spelling) which is a tar stick. They would wire brush / grind the place requiring repair, heat it up with propane, and then push the tar stick into the area. He does not have any of this stuff, nor has he been able to find it in years.

: : Does anyone know what this stuff is? Is it still available? And if so, where can I acquire it? My plumber said that if I can find this stuff, he would be interested in acquiring a quantity.

: Please Cc: reply via e-mail if possible.

: Regards,
: Jarrod

Replies to this post