Re: Replacing PB Plumbing
Posted by hj on August 23, 2001 at 23:44:33:
In response to Re: Replacing PB Plumbing
I personally use copper, but if your house qualifies for a repiping, then CPVC is adequate, unless you wish to invest the additional money fo upgrade to copper. You still did not say when the house was built. That is critical to the decision.

: Thanks for the info hj, but I am still looking form some advice on what to replace the PB with. I would like to go with copper but
: as I said, I have heard that it may not be a good choice.
: : How old is the house? If the plastic fittings were replaced with copper, I believe that extended the time frame for the class action repiping. In addition, I do not know if changing ownership affected the class action. Call 1-800-356-6496 and see if you are still covered. If you are they will repipe with CPVC, unless you wish to pay extra for copper.

: : : My house was originally built with Polybutylene. It was subsequently repiped with polybutylene with copper fittings (all before I bought it).
: : : I am in the process of renovating a bathroom and replacing my hot water heater. In addition, I am going to renovate the kitchen and the other bathroom
: : : in the near future. So, I thought that since I had all of this plumbing work to do anyway I would over time replace all of the polybutylene with copper
: : : which is more familiar to me and I know how to work with it. However, I have heard conflicting advice on using
: : : copper. I have heard about everything from pin holes to dirty pipes to lightning (repipe would run through the attic). I addition many
: : : people say that CPVC or PEX is the way to go. Do you have any advice on why I would not want copper or
: : : why any of these other piping systems would be better?
: : : Thanks

: : : PS I live in FL if that has any bearing.

Replies to this post
There are none.