putting a hole in a cast iron sink
Posted by John on July 30, 2001 at 16:39:40:
hi,

I have a kitchen sink with a 1/2" hole in it. The hole is supposed to be there; the original owner of the house had a filtered water fountain that came up through it. I want to put a dish soap dispenser where the hole is, but the hole is too small for the soap dispenser. I need to get the hole about 3/4 to 1" diameter. The sink is cast iron with some kind of coating (I don't know what the coating is called, but it's the same coating that most kitchen and bathroom sinks have...).

I bought a little $2 grinding bit for my drill that was about 5/8 in diameter. I put most of my weight on it using my drill and went straight through. It took a long time and it really heated up the area around the hole. When I got through, I tilted the bit to see if I could grind it down a little like that, but the bit shattered and soon as I put any pressure on it...

Does anyone have any idea how I can make this hole bigger? I don't want to destroy the finish around hole, but I really hate having a hole just sitting there...

Thanks,
John

Replies to this post