How to replace Cuthbert Shower Diverter
Posted by Chris on July 07, 2001 at 16:34:07:
The shower stopped working. Most of the water goes through the taps - a little gets up to the shower head. I have a 3 tap system.

I have done other minor plumbing jobs like replacing the valve seats when the taps leak and replacing the bathroom faucet. This one has me stumped.

I pulled off the diverter handle and found what looked to be the same sort of valve setup as the taps. But when I tried to unscrew the valve, only a brass fitting came off.

Now, I am looking at a brass pipe coming out of the wall. Inside the pipe is the stem that the diverter tap fits over. There appears to be a rubber gasket that fits tightly around the stem and fills the diameter of the pipe. I can't get the gasket out because there is nothing to grab on to.

Am I going to have to take apart my bathroom wall to replace the diverter valve?


Replies to this post