Re: Leaking shower drain
Posted by Steve on June 21, 2001 at 14:32:55:
In response to Re: Leaking shower drain
: : : I have a leak in my shower drain somewhere at the trap. I have traced the leak to my ceiling in the down stairs bathroom. I cut the drywall and see that the galvanized pipe that is sweated to the trap is rotting away. I want to replace the trap with PVC instead of using galvanized again. My question is what would be the easiest way to fix this? What is involved in this? Should I replace the whole pipe to the drain? How can I connect the existing galvanized pipe to the PVC? Can I do this myself or am I looking at a bigger project than I hoped for?

: :
: : Ron, What type of shower? Ceramic, fiberglass?

: : Might be easy. Might not be.

: : John

: It has a concrete bottom. The surround is glass.

I'm just a honey do home owner, but did something similiar. I would replace the drain in the shower pan and the trap. Cut off the galvanized pipoe with a hack saw. Install a new drain with a screw togather type (Home Depot)for pvc, glue up the bends, traps and other pieces. Join the pvc to the galvanized with a rubber booth with clamps (Home Depot). My repair works fine. I doubt that this would ever work in a shower with a cement/tile floor. That is a job for a pro.;)

Replies to this post
There are none.