Re: Do Stub Outs Hold Stagnant Water ??????
Posted by More on June 16, 2001 at 23:37:41:
In response to Re: Do Stub Outs Hold Stagnant Water ??????
In the event you cut the stubouts and cap them, and then they hang down lower than the tee at the area that they connect to the supply line, then there is the possibility of water stagnation. In that case, go back to the supply and cut them off, and cap them. Stagnation generally occurs in drainage rather than pressure piping, but the hot water getting too hot can allow air(steam) buildup in time, and you therefore want to have gravity fall back to the lowest pressure point of a quarter of an inch per foot.

: I have just replumbed my house in copper. I have a hot and cold run that I would like to terminate in my crawl space near the back of my house that can be used at a later date for whatever I might want to use it for. It is basically a T off of a hot and cold line. I was told that a T like this can trap stagnant water and may not be such a good idea. Should
: I cut the T back to the source line and cap it off? Or should I cut it out and do a midline so there is no T.
: If I don't leave the sub outs and want to add something later I will have to bust out the ceiling of the room right off the crawl space. This is what I am trying to avoid.

Replies to this post
There are none.