Re: Smelly Limestone Basement
Posted by More on June 06, 2001 at 03:20:42:
In response to Re: Smelly Limestone Basement
The smell is coming from mildew and mold breeding in the damp walls and cracks in the masonary, because sun rays do not strike the surfaces allowing ultraviolet rays to destroy the bacteria.Many times this is a problem from outside ground water standing against the outside surface, soaking into the masonry or limestone. First try a mildewcide that you can buy at Home Depot, concrete or garden supply houses. Spray it upon damp surfaces and see if the odor goes away for longer than two weeks. If it comes back right away, you have larger problems. Is there a floor drain or sewer outlet in the floor for an old dry sink or laundry? If so cap it off with a rubber stopper prior to using the mildewcide.

Need more help? email me at edcd@gte.net

: How do you get rid of a smelly limestone basement?




Replies to this post
There are none.