Flooded Basement
Posted by Sam Mead on May 22, 2001 at 14:41:12:
We purchased our home in November of 1996. The house was built in 1986. One night, about a year and a half after we moved in, during some heavy rains, we ran the dishwasher and washing machine at the same time, followed around 2 a.m. by the water softener. The water backed up into our basement, effectively soaking the carpet in the adjacent bedroom, family room and hallway. We had Roto-Rooter come out to take a look. They ran their power snake down there to check for clogs and, when they finished, told us it looked like the pipe that ran from the floor drain, over to where the main pipe from the house exits to the main sewer, was clean. However, they also said it sagged slightly due to settling of the house and that we should be happy since the pipe was PVC and didn't crack or break like other materials. They didn't think we'd have any other problems as long as we were careful what we put down the garbage disposal and if we put some anaerobic drain cleaner down there once in a while to clean out the sagging area, which we did. About a year later, we had the same thing happen, this time the county sewer people were cleaning out the main sewer pipes near our house. I ran my own snake down there this time and I could not feel a place where there was any sag (of course, I�m not a Pro). We continued the same way, every year since then, with the same old back up problems. Sometimes in the spring; sometimes fall. Doesn�t have to be raining heavily and it doesn�t always come all the way out into the carpeted area, but it�s getting to be a great drag. My question is this, is there some sort of valve or pump that can be put on the floor drain to keep the water out? I�m thinking of getting some new carpeting and I don�t relish the thought of it getting together with sewer water! Thanks!!!

Replies to this post