Re: Hot Water Heater - which one??
Posted by hj on May 20, 2001 at 15:55:28:
In response to Re: Hot Water Heater - which one??
A. The life of a heater is a function of your usage and the quality of your water. There is not a lot of difference in the quality of the tanks.
B. The efficiency is fairly consistent. A tankless heater will have a very slight edge because it does not have standby heat loss but they will also not deliver hot water at less than .5 gallon per minute and above 6.5 the temperature will either start to drop or the hot water pressure will start to drop due to the flow restrictor in the heater.
C. The self cleaning feature requires a fairly high flow. Since most faucets are now low flow, the only fixtures that will usually activate it are the washing machine and the bathtub.
D. Buy the longest warranty heater you can find. It may not last that long, but when it does fail you will not have to buy a new heater.
E. Gas prices are not a factor since you only pay to heat the water you use and therefore the cost will be the same regardless of which unit you buy.
: I live in Houston and will soon have to replace my 9 year old 40 gal. gas hot water heater. Here's what I'm looking for:
: a) Long Lasting
: b) Efficient
: c) If a tank, should I look at self cleaning?
: d) I plan on being in this home for some time so I'm looking for the best heater first at the best price second.
: e) A friend of mine mentioned to me a tankless water heater that heats water on demand. Are these durable and efficient options??

: In light of escalating natural gas prices, which one do you recommend? What would you install if you were in my shoes (Manufacturer and Model number please!!)

: Thank you,

: Mark

Replies to this post
There are none.