Sectional rodding machine better for roots?
Posted by Jeff on May 26, 19100 at 22:22:06:
In the past years, I have used a 100' 3/4" power rodder (3" root cutter and retriever tool) to remove sewer roots. At the end of the horizontal lateral section (85' out) the snake will not penetrate further but does not retrieve any broken tile or dirt. Last time I rodded -- I punched through the usual root blockage locations but only achieved partial flow due to whatever blockage remains downstream.

A few months later (and numerous baby wipes down the drain) and I am again faced with backups. I am going to attack the line one last time this weekend to clear it as best I can for camera inspection next week.

Is a sectional rodder with the 1-1/4" snake sections more effective against tough roots far from the cleanout? Although it seems more labor intensive to make connections -- it seems to me that the larger diameter snake would develop more torque at longer runs with less chance of twisting (when cutting roots).

Also, I have to lug the rodder down into a 4' crawlspace and over 50' to the cleanout. Does the existing straight in angle (for feeding snake)present a significant advantage over the torque loss due to directional changes (with an outside cleanout riser)?

Replies to this post