Re: A wierd idea...
Posted by hj on May 22, 19100 at 08:20:55:
In response to Re: A wierd idea...
At least three problems. First the pipe will be black steel which will rust out very quickly with water in it, and especially when it is drained and exposed to air. Second, the pipe will rust and the rusty water could migrate into the rest of the piping and cause red or brown water. And finally, there is a regulation that gas pipe never be reused for water piping. The odor will remain in the pipes for years and be transferred to the water. That odor could also migrate into the rest of the water system. It is not so much that it would be a waste of time, but that it could open a Pandora's box of problems.

: I have a home with no faucet on the exterior for a hose. I do have an old natural gas barbeque installed, where the gas line comes into the basement and is not hooked up to anything. The BBQ is garbage.

: I am considering using the existing underground gas line for water. This would give me a tap out by my garage. I am of course aware that I would have to diligently drain the line each fall as it is only a foot or so deep. All things considered, can I use the line (it is a rigid line, not flexible) for water or is this a big waste of time?

Replies to this post
There are none.