Back Oultlet toilet in a residential high-rise setting
Posted by Kari Murayama on May 21, 19100 at 22:24:46:
Dear Terry,

I have a situation with a low-flush toilet and am wondering if you can help.

Do you know a quieter type of low-flush toilet for a high rise building? I live in one of those buildings and have been quitely annoyed with the loud noise that the low-flush toilet make from the upstaris. Last fall, new residents moved in upstairs and they installed a new toilet (back outlet type). The noise travels quite a bit because this is a concrete building, and I am losing sleep because of the noise during the night. I feel like I am living in a sewage. I can hear it even when I am eating. It is just disgusting.

I am doing my own research and called Kohler, American Standards, and TOTO, asking about a back outlet tolet. Kohler and American Standards say that they are making one (Barrington and Yorkville, respectively) and that it is for commercial, not residential. I am puzzled. What does that mean? If they are making a back outlet toilet for a commercial use, is somebody in a residential building allowed to use it? Is there any back outlet type for a residential building?

Based on the information I receive, I will make a recommendation to the neighbor upstairs. I am willing to pay half of their toilet and installation. I am that desperate.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me on this.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Kari Murayama
Fort Lee, NJ