Re: Flooring options for a clawfoot tub??
Posted by dick on May 10, 19100 at 11:21:13:
In response to Re: Flooring options for a clawfoot tub??
cERAMIC TILE HAS BY FAR THE HIGHEST COMPRESSIVE STRENGTH OF THE THREE OPTIONS. The only reason tile would crack is because it is not completely supported by the mortar. When tile is normaly installed with thinset mortar, only 50 to 80% of the tile ends up in contact with the mortar. This is normaly enough even for heavy loads. But to make sure, ask the tile installer to "back-butter" the tiles in the tub area. This means in addition to the thinset applied to the floor with a notched trowel, the back of the tile is "buttered" with a very thin layer of mortar. this insures that there is nearly 100% contact between the tile and the mortar. Then you will have to watch to make sure he actualy does it.

Depending on the exact configuration of the tub feet, I would expect them to make a permanent dent in hardwood or pergo.

: I've recently purchased an antique cast iron clawfoot tub as part of a bathroom remodelling project. Another element of the project is that I plan to update the flooring to either ceramic tile (12"x12"), Pergo or hardwood (listed in order of preference).

: Has anyone ever installed a clawfoot tub over any of these surfaces? I'm concerned about the amount of pressure that will focus on the four legs of the tub and what sort of impact it may have on the flooring.

: The last thing I want is to install ceramic tile, the tub, etc. And then have a tile crack under one of the feet the first time the tub is used.

: Am I being over cautious??

: Any input is GREATLY appreciated....

: Thanks in advance,
: Erin

Replies to this post