Re: Disassembling galvanized pipes
Posted by dick on May 09, 19100 at 10:49:17:
In response to Re: Disassembling galvanized pipes
Pipe wrenches come in sizes up to 5' long. The better brands are strong enough to use a cheater pipe at least twice the length of the wrench.
I have used a 4' pipe wrench with a 10 ft cheater pipe, but not inside my house.
For house plumbing, I have never had to use anything bigger than a pair of 14" wrenches. you will need a pair, one to hold a backup on the elbow while you turn the pipe (or vice versa).

If you try to take stuff apart with just one wrench, you are likely to bend up the pipes or unscrew the wrong joint.

I would not plan on reusing the old pipe. The cost of new pipes will not be that much compared to the labor involved. Or, consider running PEX to the faucets. It will cost a little more because you have to buy a crimper, but is much easier to run. Don't use PEX compression fittings in the walls or attic.

: Attempting a minor plumbing addition to a 50 year old house with galvanized plumbing. There seems to be no problem with the current pipes. I want to replace an L in the CW line to the washer with a T, which will allow an extra line for a new exterior faucet. I was planning to reuse the original piping to the washer. How to get apart 50 year old threaded pipe joints sealed with plumbers putty (I guess that's what they called it)? A good sized pipe wrench won't budge the joints. Heating with a heat gun, then the wrench? Something else to try? Thanks for any suggestions - John

Replies to this post
There are none.