Re: Mysterious plug in basement floor
Posted by Bud..Suncoast Plumbing on April 09, 19100 at 19:27:59:
In response to Re: Mysterious plug in basement floor
Frank:--In 1932 FDR (President Roosevelt)closed all the Banks and froze the assets of hundreds of thousands of people. I am referring of course to "The Great Depression" that started with the crash in 1929. Many people new of the coming closure of the banks and made arrangements to hide their money in all manner of places. The cellar was generally selected because it offered some protection in the event of a fire.
I'm not suggesting for a moment that this was a repository for the family wealth in gold, jewells and coin of the Realm, but it is possible.
From your description of the cap, it sounds like a blind plug that has been caulked into a cast iron hub for the purpose of sealing it.
If I remember my childhood stories correctly
"Pandoras Box" had a similar type closure device on it. Not being an overly suspicious or imaginative person, I probably would not mess with that mysterious knob that you spoke of. But then on the other hand...naaaah.
Forget about it..it is probably a remnent of some discontinued plumbing from the days of Septic Tanks and Drain Fields that were generally located at the rear of the residence.
Bud........

We were removing loose paint from the basement floor and found a mysterious knob or plug at the bottom of the stairs. It's right in front of the stairwell by the outside wall adjacent to the garage. You practically step on it coming down the stairs.

: It is on the opposite side of the house that the gas boiler and the sewer connection are. It looks like a steel cap of some sort. It has some soft material around it and will move around slightly when proded but it does appear to be connected to something below it.

: The house was built in 1931 and is in New Jersey. I have the permit history of the house and it shows that a gas burner was installed in 1946. Could this be an old oil tank? Some connection to the sewer? I've never had an older house before and have no idea what it could be. I'm a little afraid to tamper with it because it has obviously been painted over so many times that I don't think anyone has touched it for decades. We've had the house 4 yrs and prior to that it belonged to one family.

: Any help figuring out this mystery would be appreciated.

Replies to this post
There are none.