Re: Brown stains on laundry from copper pipes
Posted by Bud..Suncoast Plumbing on April 05, 19100 at 18:41:07:
In response to Re: Brown stains on laundry from copper pipes
Tom:The site below may provide some insight on options to deal with this problem.
Lots of Luck...Bud

I recently had my plumbing redone in copper originating from the street's main line.

: I've been getting brown stains on my clothes after doing a wash. It looks like rust, so I had the stains analyzed for iron, but found out they are from copper.

: I also have a small leak in the bath tub that is greenish-blue which is characteristic of copper in the water.

: The lab says it may be from chlorine in the water sitting in the pipes for a long period of time, causing copper chloride deposits to form, but I use the water daily, so that can't be the problem.

: The department of water and power says to change any galvanized steel to copper connections, to dielectric unions or brass.

: I have only one visible connection and that's a 2 1/2 nipple (looks like shiny steel) coming from the hot water heater outlet that's connected to copper flex tubing. I'm going to change the nipple to brass.

: If this doesn't correct the problem, would a sacrificial anode take care of it? Also, if the anode is placed at the front of the house, what about the water sitting inside the copper pipe from the street to the front of the house.

: Thanks,

: Tom

Replies to this post
There are none.