Re: grease buildup in ejector
Posted by hj on April 01, 19100 at 15:51:15:
In response to Re: grease buildup in ejector
It is too late now, but I would really have tried to find a way not to connect the sink into the ejector for two reasons. First the grease problem that you have already discovered, and second, the mateial from the disposal will tend to accumulate in the pit. The heavier items falling to the bottom and the lighter ones floating on top of the water. This can cause the ejector pit to become a miniature septic tank. The only thing worse is having a grease trap where the material builds up until it plugs the system.
: Last August we remodeled the basement, adding a bath and a sewage ejector. Given the way the walls needed to be laid out, we had to tie the kitchen into the ejector as well. (Sink, disposal & dishwasher).

: The ejector stopped working this week, and when I looked into it (boy do you plumbers earn your money, whew!) there was a heavy grease buildup on everything which was preventing the float from floating.

: So, I've cleaned it all out, but am looking for advice. Do we just need to be extra careful with what goes down the kitchen drain or is there something inherently wrong with this whole setup? Is there any product or tip/trick we could employ to clear the grease out once every couple of months?

: Thanks for your time & expertise, Randy

Replies to this post
There are none.