Re: Fittings for Pex
Posted by Dick on March 27, 19100 at 09:11:08:
In response to Re: Fittings for Pex
: : Found Flair-it.com site for compression type pex fittings. Evidently similar to Pb fittings. Carried in Ace Hdwre. plumbing catalogue. Can be inserted and tightened with no special tools. Would these fittings be adequate to plumb two bathrooms (two story, full bsmt)in new construction? I don't want to buy the special insertion/expansion/crimping tools I've seen used on TV as they are expensive.

: I think you are talking about wirsbro pex pipe. You need to expand the pipe to make it fit over the fitting. The vanguard pex needs a tool to crimp a ring over the pipe with the fitting inserted in the pipe. Or you can use CPVC pipe and all you need is glue and primer. All three are excellant materials for domestic water. I have not seen these other fittings you are talking about. But if you use a compresion fitting use nylon compressino rings and steel inserts. Dale's Plumbing Service Inc LMP

Lowe's carries Quest PEX they have the crimp ring type fittings and they also have plastic compression fittings. The plastic compression fittings are "NOT RECOMENDED FOR USE IN CONCEALED LOCATIONS" . This pretty much says that they are not very reliable. I spent the hundred bucks and got a crimper. One leak will do a hundred bucks damage in 5 minuts.

Replies to this post