Re: How does one safely cut holes for pipes in floor joists?
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service LMP on February 28, 19100 at 19:52:07:
In response to Re: How does one safely cut holes for pipes in floor joists?
: Folks:

: In case this is deja-vu, you are not crazy. I posted this last week, but it might have gotten lost-in-the-shuffle. I'm just a bit anxious to get this matter settled. Please accept my apologies, Mr. Love!

: Anyway, the problem:

: I am installing a Central Vac system in mostly new work, and I have to run 2" PVC all over the place. It will be a major pain-in-the-@#$%! to do this unless I can bore 2-1/2" holes through several 2x8 floor joists. (Solid, not wood I-beams). This is being done in new, and exposed old, work.

: The general carpentry book I have warns that 2" dia. is the max in a 2x8, and that applies to a bore right in the middle, within the first 1/3 of the span.

Daniel, My sister lives there also. I was born and raised in Bayshore. I did a lot of plumbing in huntington. Well I didn't think that vac pipe was that big. You can put headers in between each joist But between you me and Jerico turnpike I don't think you will do any harm as long as you stay in the middle. Check with a master carpenter and he may help. I have drilled many a 2/9/16th hole in 2x8s in my day for tub and kit sink wastes and those houses are still standing today, The call is yours.Dale's Plumbing Service LMP
: Suppose I were to make a couple of scabs out of 2x6's (or even 2x8's) and surround the openings with these?

: Any other suggestions would be most welcome! Thank you.

: Is this a local building-code issue? Anyone have any sources for local building code listings? I live in Huntington, NY

: -DS

Replies to this post
There are none.