Re: Utility sink removal
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service LMP on February 23, 19100 at 19:54:47:
In response to Re: Utility sink removal
: I have a disgustingly,dirty utility sink in my basement in close proximity to my washer and dryer. I have never used this sink for the 6 years we have lived in this house. I have requested that the plumber remove the sink as he re-positions the washer and dryer 4 feet from the current location(in preparation for finishing the basement.

: Here's the question. The plumber recommends keeping the sink because it can serve as a catch basin in the event of a clog. He says that w/out some sort of tank or sink the water could back flow and cause the toilet upstairs to overflow.

: I would like to know the likelihood of this occurrence AND if there is any other alternative to having a sink - maybe some type of enclosed tank Or nothing at all.

: Help!

Joe, Here's the question. The plumber recommends keeping the sink because it can serve as a catch basin in the event of a clog. He
says that w/out some sort of tank or sink the water could back flow and cause the toilet upstairs to overflow.

Now read what you said. Real good. Now if the washer is in the basement and the drain is in the basement, well water seeks its own level doesn't it? The water would come out of the washer stand pipe and never make it to the upstairs toilet. This plumber should join the used car salesman association. He is pulling your leg. Dale's Plumbing Service LMP

Replies to this post
There are none.