Re: sweating copper
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service LMP on February 05, 19100 at 21:20:37:
In response to Re: sweating copper
: In sweating copper, do you heat the coupling the tubing or both? When do you touch the solder to the joint, or how much heating time does it take for the solder to seemingly "sweat"into the joint? Does the Flux get applied to both coupling and tubing before joining (before applying the torch)? How do you redo a botched job? Does sweating work even when the tubing is vertical? I'd appreciate your advice and prompt reply. THank you.

Yes, You heat the fitting and the tubing both.I don't know the exact time it takes i just do it from experience. Touch the solder (95/5 solder) and if it starts to suck up into the fitting it is hot enough. Do no over heat. The flux gets applied to both the fitting and pipe after it is CLEANED. Use steel wool or emery cloth. I prefer steel wool. to redo a botched job just cut it out and start over. Yes you can sweat on the vertical. Use a pocket knife to rheem your copper.I tried to find you a copper site but it is down. Hope this helps.Dale's Plumbing Service LMP

Replies to this post