Re: copper vs PEX
Posted by hj on February 05, 19100 at 19:26:22:
In response to Re: copper vs PEX
I also cannot speak for Terry, but after 50 years in the business, I have yet to install a PEX system and never installed a polybutylene, either. If you wanted a plastic system, I would favor CPVC over a system that depended on clamps for its security. And with either one, you have to understand that the wall thickness is much more that with copper, so to get the same internal area, you have to oversize the tubing compared to copper. And with PEX, the fittings fit inside the tubing further restricting the available flow area.

: Terry, You have mentioned a number of times that you favor copper for repiping over PEX. But you haven't been clear about why. Is it because customers percieve it as being better, or you are more comfortable working with copper just because you have used it for so long, or have you had some problems with PEX?

: If all the PEX claims are legitimate (and I can't seem to find anybody who disputes them) It seems like it would be easier and safer to install. And end up with a system more resistant to freeze damage, immune to "pinholes", and easier to fix if it ever does get damaged.

: I may have to do a repipe job and I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

: Thanks,
: Dick

Replies to this post
There are none.