Re: Replacing Shower Valve Body
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service LMP` on January 25, 19100 at 20:01:08:
In response to Re: Replacing Shower Valve Body
: I just bought an older home that has galvanized steel plumbing. Recently the bath tub spout
: began leaking between the back of the spout and the fake tile surround wall. It leaks even after
: the water is turned off, and I think it's coming from the hot water side.

: I'd like to replace the shower valve body, but am unsure how to access it. I think it would be
: easiest to "just peel back" the vinyl surround, but am not sure if this is possible. I think that they
: are typically glued in place with construction adhesive, I don't know how hard it would be to
: break this bond. I also don't know how flexible this thing will be, assuming I can get it free from
: the wall, I don't want to crack it and break it from bending it too far.

Installing it with diolectric unions is fine. But you sure have a problem getting to this faucet. I guess it is a flip of the coin.I think i would try inside first, but be prepared to get another tub encloser. I would supect that the sheet rock needs to be replaced anyway. Dale's Plumbing Service LMP

: My other option is to remove the exterior wood siding and plywood sheeting from the outside
: of the house, break through the old lathe and plaster on the interior side of the wall, and access
: it from that side.

: Also, once I get in there, I'm a little leery of dealing with the old galvanized pipe. There are hot
: and cold galzanized stubs coming up from under the house, I was thinking of using dielctric
: unions at the top of the stubs and running 1/2" copper to the new valve body. Is this a good
: idea, or should I use a metal "flexi" hose like water heaters use?

: Thanks, any advice is greatly appreciated.

: Andy

Replies to this post
There are none.