Re: Hot water tank pressure
Posted by Dale's Plumbing Service LMP on January 19, 19100 at 20:01:29:
In response to Re: Hot water tank pressure
: I have a question about my hot water heater. Whenever a moderate amount of hot water is drawn from the tank (ie. For a shower, dishwasher etc), the pressure in the tank rises dramatically. I know this because the previous owner installed a pressure gauge on the hot water output pipe just after the pipe leaves the tank. Often I�ve checked the pressure gauge after showering and it is way past 100 psi. When the hot water hasn�t been used for a while, the pressure gauge sits at 50 to 60psi. Often, the pressure release valve on the hot water tank kicks in and dumps water onto the basement floor. I�ve installed a garden hose from the relief valve on the tank to the basement drain as a stop gap measure. Should the pressure relief valve be dumping water regularly or is there something wrong with the tank or the pressure system. It�s a fairly new tank�replaced two years ago. A friend suggested that the pressure reduction valve on the main water service line could need adjusting or replacing. What do you think?
: Thanks
: Ted

Ted, This system requires an expansion tank. Perhaps you have one. If so it may be defective. Push on the stem and if water comes out It's shot. When the water is heating it creats pressure.Thats how the steam locomotives pulled the train. Install a new expansion tank if needed.Dale's Plumbing Service LMP

Replies to this post
There are none.