Re: Plumbing behind ceramic tile wall
Posted by Gene on November 13, 1999 at 21:54:08:
In response to Re: Plumbing behind ceramic tile wall
: : We have two bathrooms in our house that have commodes that are installed "back to back" with both bathrooms having the full wall covered with ceramic wall tile. I know - that was a bad idea. The second bathroom commode was installed as part of an addition to the house, and the plumber used a short galvanized pipe nipple between the copper tubing that is in the slab and the commode cutoff connection. It is corroding and starting to leak and needs to be replaced. What would you recommend as the easiest way to replace the fitting behind the ceramic tile wall ? Any ideas would be appreciated. Two similar connections in that bathroom were already replaced when the leak turned to a break, but luckily the backside of the plumbing was accessible through a paneled wall on the backside. Ideas are appreciated.

: Shut the water down and disconnect the water supply to the commode and unscrew the nipple out of the wall. After it breaks you will need an easy out to remove the rest of the nipple out of the 1/2"c x 3/8IP or 1/2"IP 90. It can be easy or it could be a real pain. No matter what happens you have to replace the nipple. Use only brass nipples and 20yrs from now it will still be like new.Hope this helps. Dale

Dale:

Thanks so much for your response. I guess I had already kind of resigned to doing some ceramic tile removal and trying to match the tiles. Will try the "easy-out" method and hope it works. Thanks again for your help. Gene

Replies to this post
There are none.