Re: Shower Pan Installation
Posted by Moore on October 31, 1999 at 20:31:06:
In response to Re: Shower Pan Installation
The correct way is to knock a hole in the slab, dig down and out to a sewer line, add a vent either inside the wall or outside, to extend above the roof eaves, set the rough plumbing into the slab area, pour a new slab, then set the shower to it. You can get away with placing your drain above the slab and the ninety degree bend in the sewer, and the trap, and then building up a sub floor for the shower, and a step or two up to the shower. You'll really regret it though when it comes time to sell the house, or you have a nosy neighbor who would love to call the health inspector over to examine your work. Go to the library and look at the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) to see what fittings you need and how high the vent needs to be. If you really are intent on getting a shower in there, you could use a small plastic swimming pool with a side train tapped into it to go outside, and a shower curtain around the pool, with hot and cold water run to it. You could also use a wash tub or a porcelain tub that has claw feet to raise it off the slab, build a light privacy wall around it (or a shower curtain) and smaller diameter drain line to go through the outside wall.

: I would like to install a fiberglass shower in my garage. Do I have to knock a hole in the slab or are there shower pans raised enough to have the plumbing (drain) above the slab and then run the drain out the lower garage wall and into the ground?

Replies to this post
There are none.