Re: plastic trap
Posted by Moore on October 31, 1999 at 20:12:31:
In response to Re: plastic trap
The plastic will work fine. The true issue is making sure the metal tailpiece extends into the somewhat flexible plastic, straight. The leak stopping effect is going to be achieved by the 1 1/2 inch flat washer compressed by the compression nut. You might be advised to apply a small amount of plumbers putty to the tailpiece as you insert it into the plastic. The reason for this is that the tailpiece is 1 1/2 inches in a "Thinwall" metal and the plastic is 1 5/16 inches. if the tailpiece isn't straight into the trap, the flat washer won't be able to seal the gap, but compressed plumbers putty and the washer will.

: My kitchen sink trap had a leak in it and I went to my local True Value and picked up a replacement among the tubular goods they sell. I am wondering if the plastic replacement screw-on trap kit with one J-bend, 2 nuts, and 2 washers, will work with the metal Tailpiece and metal Wall Tube I have, or do I need to get a metal J-bend and metal associated nuts. Thank you very much.

Replies to this post
There are none.