Re: break into gas line easy?
Posted by hj on October 22, 1999 at 23:22:13:
In response to Re: break into gas line easy?
Around here they are only a no/no if they are going to be inaccessible, but there are also special unions for gas lines. I have used the standard unions for 50 years without problems. And the reason L/R cn be a problem is that you have to get both sides in sync so that they tighten equally.

: I thought unions in a gas line was a no no??? Is there a different type of union than what i have used for water lines? The location where i need to break the line is in the center of the attic, lots of room to swing a 36 if needed.
:
: I haven't worked with residential gas lines before but i've done plenty of plumbing and i design and build high pressure (10k+) gas well equipment for a living. I'm guessing that the L/R fitting you are refering to is a nipple with LH pipe threads on one end and a matching coupling. I've seen something similar tried several times on high pressure equipment and it never worked consistently. I guess it would work ok on low pressure lines. If i can't buy one, then i can have one built.

: : With gas it is a similar process. If the gas line is and will be accessible after the range is connected, then you can usually use a union. If it will be enclosed, then you need a left/right nipple and union. Installing this, and doing it properly, is not something I would suggest for a neophyte.In this situation, I would contact a plumber, especially since the L/R fitting may not be readily available to you.

: : : I need to break into an existing black iron pipe gas line to install a line to a new gas stove. Is there an easy way to do this or do i have to disassemble everything to the end of the line?
: : : If this was a water line , I would just cut the shortest nipple install a tee and a union and a short nipple to make up the original distance. I realize i can't do that with gas but i hope there is an easier way than disassembling everything.

Replies to this post
There are none.