Re: Skinny gas pipe?
Posted by Moore on October 13, 1999 at 20:46:57:
In response to Re: Skinny gas pipe?
Use a 3/8 or 1/4 inch diameter copper tube from the gas supply to the fireplace area. At the fireplace you'll need to change from "skinny" 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch galvanized or black iron. The local hardware store stocks what are called Compression fittings that use whats called a brass ferrule inside the connecting nuts. Buy a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch male female adapter, and find the correct adapter to connect that to your gas lag burner. Its legal to use skinny copper pipe, its used in water heater connections. A word of caution. Try not to use the soft copper "skinny" tube where it will be directly exposed to open flame. It melts too readily. Use the skinny pipe to get through the floor, then change back to 1/2 inch as soon as possible.

: I want to install a vent-free gas log set in my fireplace & need to have a natural gas fitting installed. There is a section of iron pipe sticking up through the floor & embedded in the concrete hearth, but it's been cut off below the floor (a relic of some previous gas appliance, I guess). The stub has been painted over and probably can't be used as is, but I was thinking a smaller-diameter gas pipe could be run through it -- much easier and cheaper than knocking out the old pipe and possibly replacing broken concrete. The inside diameter of the iron pipe is about 1/2 inch. Is there any type of gas pipe that would fit such a skinny channel? Is it legal to use copper tubing, even for a short distance? (the stub is maybe 8" long) I want to find out if this can even be done before I call the plumber. Thanks

Replies to this post
There are none.