Re: Toilet flange to cast iron
Posted by Steve Kukula on September 20, 1999 at 22:37:56:
In response to Re: Toilet flange to cast iron
: Winston:--There is a cast iron adapter that is used for this purpose for those who no longer do basic lead work, or have the tools for this dying art. The adapter Flange fits down inside the existing cast iron closet stub, and is sealed by simply tightening the stainless steel cap screws.
: When tightening these screws, it is important to remember not to torque them down to tightly...
: just enough to expand the rubber sleeve firmly against the inside surface of the cast iron closet stub. It is also important to be sure that a good strutural connection is made with whatever type floor the flange will rest on so that the toilet when set will be anchored properly and not leak at the seal.
: Lots of luck......Bud

I think you missed the real problem, Bud -
There isn't a cast iron stub. It's a lead stub. This
is trickier. There never was a flange, but should
have been. It's common in my area. I've seen both
lead stubs and lead bends. In this case, I cut the
cast iron and replace it with plastic pipe and a
plastic flange. The pipes can be coupled with a
no-hub clamp or Fernco coupling.

Replies to this post
There are none.