Re: Cracked iron vent stack
Posted by Terry Love on September 15, 1999 at 20:42:24:
In response to Re: Cracked iron vent stack

: I've had a weak plaster wall in the upstairs bathroom for several years and have suspected a leaky vent stack joint. When we decided to remodel I tore into the wall and discovered a 1/2" crack running up the stack 24" or so. The house is 75 years old and the pipe is cast iron. Can I repair the crack, replace just a section or do I need to replace the whole stack?
: Can I use plastic pipe to repair a section bonding it to the iron? I don't relish the idea of tearing into the first floor walls. Thanks for any advice you can give me. M. James

A section of pipe can be replace with plastic pipe and code approved couplings. The cast iron pipe can be cut with a metal cutting blade. Terry

Replies to this post
There are none.