Re: propane water heater/heat combo humming??? help
Posted by Curt on September 07, 1999 at 12:46:31:
In response to Re: propane water heater/heat combo humming??? help
: I'm moving into a 9yr old house, will all propane everything. I've never had propane before, and am a little skiddsh because I don't know how safe it is. Thegas guy came, and the heater, hotwater heater didn't work because a pressure valve had to be replaced and he did so. I wasn't home, but my husband said that he checked everything and said it was a ok. All day, I didn't hear the "fan" hum, and we were gone for about 5 hrs. We came back and I heard a hum downstairs, and you can also hear it from outside of where the vent is, my husband said tis is the fan cooling the heater. I haven't heard this before. It didn't go off for at least the 20 min. I was there, then I left. Is this normal, or something to be concerned with? Please help, I'm scared of something bad happening with propane. P.S. how safe is propane heat, hot water, stove and dryer?

I'm not sure how to make you less nervous, but I have propane everything in my home and I sleep at night. Code (in some parts, anyway) allow flexibel copper inside if it stays exposed. I like black iron pipe a lot better. As far as the fan, I'm guessing soem of your appliances are direct-venting and have a fan or blower to push the combustion gases outside the house. These only need to run around the combustion cycle, not all of the time. If you weren't using hot water and it hasn't cooled in the tank too much, there is no burn occuring and no need of a fan.

Replies to this post
There are none.