Re: tub drain
Posted by hj on August 28, 1999 at 10:07:04:
In response to Re: tub drain
It happens all too frequently. I assume the wire came loose from the bucket. (Rather than the bucket's bar broke and came out with the wire.) Get a piece of brass brazing rod, about 3/32" or 1/8" and bend a fairly sharp "U" with about a 2" return in the end of it. On the other end, bend an ell shape to give you something to hold onto. Spray a generous amount of WD-40 down the overflow and repeat it several times over a period of a couple of hours. Then slide the brazing rod down the overflow pipe and pull it back up, turning it until you catch the bucket's cross bar. Then pull up, you will have to slide it down and then pull it up sharply several times which is the reason for the long return on the U. If it does not come loose with the yanks, then gently, but firmly, tap on the handle of the rod with a hammer. You will only have to move the bucket about an 1/8" before it will slide out. But be gentle and do not use too much force or you will break the bucket's cross bar and then you will have to disassemble the drain to get it out.
: Terry, In trying to find out why the tub was draining slow, I was trying to free the trip waste assembly and bucket when the trip waste assembly came apart from the bucket. Yes, the bucket is still in the drain pipe. Any ideas on how I can free the bucket from down in the drain. Access from the back is not readily accessable as the main bathroom tub backs up to the masterbath shower. Help!!!!

Replies to this post
There are none.