Re: White particles
Posted by Frank Hamilton on July 10, 1999 at 21:00:30:
In response to Re: White particles
: You have described the typical symptoms of a fractured or deteriorated dip tube. This is the tube that directs incoming cold water to the bottom of the tank. Without it, you will get much less hot water. It often takes a torque multiplier to remove the inlet if the tank is of any age. I advise you call a plumber for this.

: : : My hotwater heater is turned up quite a bit. The water is extremely hot yet we still seem to run out of hot water quickly. Also there are these weird white particles that come out of the faucets when the hot water is turned on. They are sort of like really hard plastic or may even ceramic of some sort. I don't know if the problems are related or not. Any suggestions?

The July/Aug issue of American How To magazine, page 88, explains the defective dip tube problem on waterheaters manufactured between 1993 and 1997. According to the article, some water heaters manufactured by A.O Smith, Rheem, Bradford White, Reliance and Jackson have defective plastic dip tubes that come apart and plug up the hot water system. They said that manufacturers of these water heaters are paying for parts and labor to correct this problem.
Frank Hamilton

Replies to this post
There are none.