Re: slow drain, backflow, dead toilet
Posted by hj on May 11, 1999 at 09:49:37:
In response to Re: slow drain, backflow, dead toilet
They usually stop working without any warning. If this is the only toilet, then the problem is probably roots outside in the main pipe. If it is not the only toilet, but the only one not working, then the main pipe between the two toilets is obstructed. In either case, you need a plumber with a snake, or a rented snake. The problem with renting a snake, is that you need a large one, and you have to know where to use it.

: Without warning Sunday p.m. the toilet stopped flushing (fortunately didn't quite overflow), and the drains all got v-e-r-y slow, particularly the nearby bathtub drain. Nauseatingly, when I plungered the toilet, its water level went down -- only to re-appear in the bathtub. My assumption: a guest at a party the night before flushed something she shouldn't have. The particularly odd thing though is that Sunday a.m. showers, sink & toilet worked fine; the problem first appeared as the washer began draining.

: We're on a concrete slab (yeah!), so I'm not sure where the pipes go. I tried snaking the toilet but couldn't get the thing past the toilet trap (P trap?) -- any tips? Also tried snaking the tub, but there's apparently more than one sharp turn, & couldn't get more than 2 feet in (and I don't think that was the clog) -- again, any tips welcome.

: Use of major chemicals (sulphuric acid base (a quart in 1 cup doses over 3 hours), and some overnight bubbling enzyme) resulted in a slow flow out of the tub, but there is still some backflow from the toilet or bathroom sink after a few gallons run -- I presume after the now-empty pipe fills behind the blockage.

: Any advice welcome -- more chemicals? round 2 with snake? dynamite the slab? From reading old postings this also sounds alot like a vent problem -- it was fine a couple months ago, but I will check tonight.

: Thanks!

Replies to this post
There are none.